Proud to be celebrating 170 years in business

GMB Senior or Specialist Worker

The Senior or Specialist worker route replaces the previous Intra-Company Transfer visa. This route is designed for senior managers and specialist employees who are looking to undertake a temporary work assignment in the UK.

The employee looking to apply under this category must be working for an overseas company which is linked by common ownership or control with the UK company holding the sponsor licence. This link must be approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) before applying under this category.

To be eligible for this global business mobility visa, you must:

  • Be an employee of a Home Office approved sponsor
  • Been given a valid Certificate of sponsorship from your employer
  • Do a job on the list of eligible occupations
  • Be paid at least £42,400 per year or the ‘going rate’ for your job (whichever is higher)
  • If you have been in the UK since before 6th April 2011 on Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa, you only need to be paid the going rate for your job, even if it’s lower than £42,400
  • Have worked for your employer for the minimum time outside the UK
  • If you earn less than £73,900 per annum, you must have worked for your employer for at least 12 months outside the UK.
  • If your salary is £73,900 or more per annum, there is no minimum required time.

The maximum time allowed in the Global Business Mobility – Senior or Specialist Worker route will be 5 years in any 6-year period.

If the individual will be paid at least £73,900 or above per annum the maximum time allowed will be 9 years in any 10-year period. Individuals are not required to satisfy the English language requirement.

This route does not lead to settlement however individuals may be permitted to switch to a visa category that does lead to settlement should they meet the criteria.

The costs for this application are.

Home Office fees:

If applying from outside the UK:

  • up to 3 years - £625 per person
  • more than 3 years - £1,235 per person

If applying from inside the UK to extend, switch or update your visa:

  • up to 3 years - £719 per person
  • more than 3 years - £1,423 per person

Annual Immigration Health Surcharge, £624 per year

Apart from these fees, you’re typically expected to have at least £1,270 in a personal account to show that you can financially support yourself.


For further information or to speak to one of our experts, please get in touch