Hospitals and Healthcare Settings

Vulnerable adults and children can suffer sexual, physical or emotional abuse whether as an inpatient or in the community. 

This can take the form of an intimate or invasive examination by a medical professional that you did not consent to, or it could be an assault by another patient.  If this has happened to you then you should always report it to the Police in the first instance so an investigation can take places.

How do I claim?  

Where the abuse was perpetrated by a healthcare professional or other member of staff within this setting then it may be possible to establish the institution is “vicariously liable” for the acts of the person who committed the abuse.  It may also be possible to claim in negligence if the hospital failed to protect you against an assault by another patient.

How can we help you?

If you, or a loved one, have suffered an assault in a healthcare setting then please get in touch with us.  We will be able to advise you in complete confidence as to your legal rights in obtaining redress for what happened.


For further information or to speak to one of our experts, please get in touch