Health Care Visa

A Health and Care Worker visa is aimed at medical professionals to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care. This visa was designed to attract healthcare professionals to the UK. 

What are the visa requirements?

  • be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional
  • work in an eligible health or social care job-Check Skilled Occupation Code
  • work for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from the employer with information about the role offered in the UK
  • be paid a minimum salary - this depends on the type of work the applicants
  • In certain cases, to have sufficient personal savings so that the applicant can support themselves on arrival in the UK

Skilled occupation Code:

The job must be in one of the following occupation codes to qualify for the Health and Care Worker visa:

  • 1181: health services and public health managers and directors
  • 1242: residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors
  • 2112: biological scientists and biochemists
  • 2113: physical scientists
  • 2211: medical practitioners
  • 2212: psychologists
  • 2213: pharmacists
  • 2214: ophthalmic opticians
  • 2215: dental practitioners
  • 2217: medical radiographers
  • 2218: podiatrists
  • 2219: health professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as audiologists and occupational health advisers
  • 2221: physiotherapists
  • 2222: occupational therapists
  • 2223: speech and language therapists
  • 2229: therapy professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as osteopaths and psychotherapists
  • 2231: nurses
  • 2232: midwives
  • 2442: social workers
  • 3111: laboratory technicians
  • 3213: paramedics
  • 3216: dispensing opticians
  • 3217: pharmaceutical technicians
  • 3218: medical and dental technicians
  • 3219: health associate professionals not elsewhere classified
  • 6141: nursing auxiliaries and assistants
  • 6143: dental nurses
  • 6145: care workers and home carers
  • 6146: senior care workers

Does the applicant need to meet the English language requirement?

The applicant must demonstrate that he/she is able to speak, read, write and understand English to at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.

The applicant will not need to prove their knowledge of English if they are a national of one of the following countries:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • the Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • Malta
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • USA

If the applicant is a doctor, dentist, nurse or midwife they do not need to prove their knowledge of English if they have already passed an English Language assessment that is accepted by the relevant regulated professional body.

Can a partner or children join the main applicant?


Does the applicant or his family members need to pay for the Immigration Health Surcharge?


How much does it cost?

Application fee (Per applicant)3 Years5 Years


Money to support yourself in the UK:

The applicant will need to evidence that they will be able to support themselves financially whilst in the UK. To do this, the applicant must have at least £1270 in their bank account. This money must be held in your bank for at least 28 days. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.

In some cases the applicant will not need to show proof of this, if;

  • Applicant has been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months
  • Applicants employer can cover your costs during their first month in the UK

The applicants partner and children will also need to prove they can support themselves while they’re in the UK.



For further information or to speak to one of our experts, please get in touch