Any issues and disputes of a non-financial nature concerning children are classed as private law proceedings.  These include disagreements over where a child lives (often referred to in the media and previously in the courts as "custody" or “residence”), how often they see their parents (previously called "access" or “contact”), and grandparents' rights.

Wherever possible, we encourage people to resolve their disputes outside of the courts. This is usually considered to be best for the children.

If issues cannot be resolved without the court becoming involved, then we can assist with any applications to the court which may need to be made.

A number of court orders can be applied for, covering matters such as with whom the child should live; when a child should see another person; whether someone should be prevented from taking certain steps in relation to a child; and any issues relating to major decisions in a child’s life.

We have expert specialist lawyers dealing with private law children matters.  Whether you are a parent, grandparent, or other concerned individual, we can help provide the advice you need, sensibly and sensitively, in a timely and professional manner.

Key Contacts