The Property Litigation team has extensive experience in all areas of contentious property work. We are a team of highly skilled and committed solicitors and support staff who take the time to understand the nature of your business or personal dispute, as well as identifying the desired outcome and the most efficient way of getting there.
Whether you are a landlord, a tenant, an owner of commercial or residential land we are able to assist. Wherever necessary we work closely with our colleagues in other departments in order to provide a full service.
We have experience of using alternative means to settle a dispute and a full understanding of Court and Tribunal processes, whether it in the County Court, High Court or specialist tribunals such as the Lands Tribunal, Leasehold Valuation Tribunal, Residential Property Tribunal, or Rent Assessment Committee.
We recognise that disputes, whether private or commercial, can lead to considerable frustration and anxiety, and particularly so with issues affecting land and leases. Our extensive experience with this area of the law enables us to work closely with our clients, to fully understand the nature and extent of the problem, to carefully discuss their expectations and explain the processes and cost involved in reaching a satisfactory resolution.
LANDLORD AND TENANT
Property disputes have long been recognised as a complex subject, with frequent changes in the law through legislation and court precedent. Keeping abreast of these changes is vital and our property litigation team has a wealth of experience and resources to find solutions to even the most involved cases. The following are examples within the spectrum of commercial and private landlord and tenant disputes that we regularly advise clients upon:
In the private sector:
- Rent arrears claims
- Possession claims under the Accelerated possession claims
- Housing disrepair claims.
- Possession actions, to include preparation and service of statutory notices
- Remedies for breaches of other covenants (e.g. unlawful sub-letting)
- Service charges claims and challenges and issues involving the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal
In the commercial sector:
- Business lease renewals
- Dilapidations claims
- Forfeiture and distraint, to include the preparation and service of statutory notices
- Unlawful assignment and subletting
- In addition to landlord and tenant disputes, we frequently advise on the law affecting land generally, to include contract disputes an misrepresentation, boundary disputes, restrictive and positive covenants, trespass and squatters, nuisance, Highways Act 1980, party walls and neighbour disputes